A new initiative that recognises the need to create a safe, supportive, and inspiring environment for writers of the Global Majority to develop their work.
Mariem Omari is working with Traverse Theatre looking for Scotland-based writers of the Global Majority aged 18+, with a new play idea, who they can support.
Do you want to dig deeper into your artistic process? Do you want to experiment with your craft in a supportive setting? Do you want to be encouraged, and encourage your fellow writers, to write stories you’re excited about?
This is a group for writers with some experience and who are ready to take a new play to the next stage of development. Maybe you’ve written a full play. Maybe you have scraps of scenes sitting in a drawer. Maybe you feel confident in your writing abilities, but want support navigating the playwriting process from first flash of an idea to your standing ovation.
By 'writers of the Global Majority' we refer to writers of the following backgrounds; African or Caribbean heritage, South Asian heritage, East Asian heritage, West Asian heritage, Central Asian heritage, South East Asian heritage, East Asian and South East Asian heritage, Middle East and North African heritage, and those who have experienced racism. By the term ‘those who have experienced racism’, we are referring to individuals who have experienced discrimination based on the colour of their skin, race and/or their culture.
This definition has been informed by the work of #BAMEOver.
What can I expect from the group?
- Over 10 weeks, acclaimed playwright Mariem Omari will guide you through a series of online and in-person workshops covering the playwriting process, industry mentorship, and feedback on your writing.
- A range of exciting guest writers and artists, including guest facilitator Shilpa T-Hyland, will offer their advice and mentorship throughout the course.
- We’ll also be providing Traverse Write-ins: a weekly zoom session for you to dedicate time to writing your play.
- At the end of the ten weeks, you will have an opportunity to hear an extract of your play read by actors. You will also have a bespoke one to one meeting with one of the Traverse artistic team.
- The sessions will run from September to November and we’ll kick things off with a group meet up during this year’s Fringe.
- All travel costs incurred by participants attending the in-person workshops will be covered by the Traverse.
APPLICATIONS OPEN TIL
Friday 22 July 2022
How to apply
The application form is simple to complete, there are no trick questions – we just want to know a bit about you and your idea. It asks for your contact details, your answer to three short questions, and a writing sample of up to three pages. The writing sample can be any form (prose, play, poetry). If you’d prefer to submit a video application please tick that option and provide a link plus your writing sample.
Visit the Traverse Theatre page
For more information on this opportunity, who we are looking for, and how to apply.